For treating migraine headaches, the usual dose of almotriptan is 6.25 mg or 12.5 mg. You should not take more than two almotriptan doses during a 24-hour period. A few of the factors that can affect almotriptan dosing are your response to almotriptan, other medical conditions you may have, and other drugs you may be taking. You should take your almotriptan dosage as soon as a migraine starts. You should also make sure that you swallow the tablets along with a drink of water or other fluids.
Interested in a Discount on Almotriptan?
Enter your email address to see if eMedTV's free DiscountRx service has a program that could help you save on your prescription(s).
Enter Your Email Address
Thank you!Thank you for your interest in DiscountRx from eMedTV. An email has been sent to the address you provided. Please follow the link within that email to see what offers may be available.
An Overview of Almotriptan Dosing
The dose of almotriptan maleate (Axert®) your healthcare provider prescribes will vary depending on a number of factors, including:
- Your response to almotriptan
- Other medical conditions you may have
- Other medications you may be currently taking.
As always, do not adjust your dose unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
Almotriptan is meant to be taken only during a migraine. The usual dosage of almotriptan for migraine headaches is almotriptan 6.25 mg or 12.5 mg. The higher dose is usually more effective, but may have more side effects.
Some considerations for people taking almotriptan include:
- Almotriptan is not meant to be taken on a daily basis. Take almotriptan only when you have a migraine.
- Almotriptan should be taken as soon as possible once a migraine starts.
- Swallow almotriptan tablets whole with a drink of water or other fluids.
- If your healthcare provider instructs you to do so, you may take a second dose of almotriptan if your migraine does not go away after the first dose. However, you must wait at least two hours after the first dose before taking a second dose of almotriptan.
- Do not take more than two doses of almotriptan in a 24-hour period.
- Your almotriptan dosage can be taken with or without food.
- For almotriptan to work properly, you have to take it as prescribed. Almotriptan will not work if you take it in a way other than how your healthcare provider prescribed it.
- If you are unsure about anything related to almotriptan or your almotriptan dosing, please talk with your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist.