Precautions and Warnings With Almotriptan
There are some precautions and warnings with almotriptan that you should be aware of before taking the drug. These include possible drug interactions, the risk of a heart attack, and the safety of taking the medication while nursing. Prior to taking almotriptan, talk with your healthcare provider if you have high blood pressure, certain blood vessel conditions, or heart problems of any kind, among other conditions.
Almotriptan: What Should I Tell My Healthcare Provider?Prior to taking almotriptan maleate (Axert®), you should talk with your healthcare provider if you have:
- Heart problems of any kind, especially a history of heart disease, angina, an irregular heart rhythm, or a history of a heart attack
- High blood pressure (hypertension)
- High cholesterol
- Certain blood vessel conditions, such as peripheral vascular disease, ischemic bowel disease, or Raynaud's phenomenon
- Kidney problems, including kidney failure (renal failure)
- Liver problems, including liver failure or cirrhosis
- Any allergies, including allergies to foods, dyes, or preservatives.
Also let your healthcare provider know if you:
- Are pregnant or thinking of becoming pregnant
- Are breastfeeding
- Have a family history of heart disease
- Have gone through menopause.
You should also make sure to tell your healthcare provider about all of the medicines you take, including prescription and non-prescription medicines, vitamins, and herbal supplements.