The standard dosage of Alsuma for treating migraines or cluster headaches is one 6-mg injection. You can use a second injection one hour after the first dose if your headache has not improved. However, research has not proved that a second injection is beneficial. Do not use more than two injections in a 24-hour period.
An Introduction to Dosing With AlsumaThere is only one recommended dose for Alsuma™ (sumatriptan), regardless of your weight or the severity of your headaches. As is always the case, do not adjust your dosage unless your healthcare provider specifically tells you to do so.
What Is the Recommended Alsuma Dosage?
The standard Alsuma dose for treating migraines or cluster headaches is one injection (6 mg). If a second dose is needed, you must wait at least one hour after the first injection.
Keep in mind that studies have not shown that taking a second dose provides additional benefit; however, it may be worth trying, if your healthcare provider approves. Do not use more than two injections in 24 hours.
General Information on Using AlsumaSome considerations to keep in mind during treatment with Alsuma include the following:
- Alsuma comes in injectable form. It is injected just below the skin (subcutaneously). Most people inject this medication themselves.
- Talk with your healthcare provider about which areas of the body you may use for the injection. You will need an area that has an adequate layer of fat and skin, as this medication should not be injected into a muscle or vein. In most cases, an arm or thigh is used.
- Your healthcare provider should take the time to teach you exactly how to use the Alsuma autoinjector. If you have questions, ask your healthcare provider or pharmacist before using this medication.
- The autoinjector works automatically when you press the device hard against your skin. Hold the device in place for five seconds after you feel the injection.
- If your headache comes back or does not go away, a second injection can be given after waiting at least one hour after the first dose. Let your healthcare provider know if Alsuma does not work completely after one dosage.
- For this medication to work properly, it must be used as prescribed.
- If you are unsure about anything related to your Alsuma dosage, please talk to your healthcare provider or pharmacist.