The Amerge dosage your healthcare provider prescribes to treat migraine headaches can vary depending on factors such as other medical conditions you may have and other medications you are taking. The usual dosage of Amerge for treating migraines is 1 mg or 2.5 mg, which should be taken as soon as possible after the onset of migraine symptoms. Generally, the higher dose is more effective, but it has more side effects.
An Overview of Amerge DosingThe dose of Amerge® (naratriptan hydrochloride) your healthcare provider prescribes will vary depending on a number of factors, including:
- Other medical conditions you may have
- Other medications you may be taking
- Your response to Amerge.
As is always the case, do not adjust your Amerge dose unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
Amerge Dosage for Migraine HeadachesAmerge is meant to be taken only during a migraine. The usual dosage of Amerge for migraine headaches is Amerge 1 mg or 2.5 mg. In general, the higher dose is more effective, but it has more side effects.
Do not take more than 5 mg of Amerge per day. People with severe kidney problems (such as kidney failure) or severe liver problems (such as liver failure or cirrhosis) should not take more than 2.5 mg of Amerge in a 24-hour period.
General Amerge Dosage InformationSome considerations for people taking Amerge include the following:
- Amerge is not meant to be taken on a daily basis. Take Amerge only when you have a migraine.
- Take Amerge as soon as possible once a migraine starts.
- Swallow Amerge tablets whole with a drink of water or other fluid.
- If instructed to do so by your healthcare provider, you may take a second dose of Amerge if your migraine does not go away after the first dose. However, you must wait at least four hours after the first dose before taking a second dose of Amerge.
- You may take your Amerge dosage with or without food.
- For Amerge to work properly, you have to take it as prescribed. Amerge will not work if you take it differently than how your healthcare provider prescribed it.
- If you are unsure about anything related to Amerge or your Amerge dosage, please talk to your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist.