As with any medication, it is possible to overdose on Amerge. Some symptoms of an Amerge overdose may include high blood pressure, lightheadedness, and drowsiness. Because there have been so few cases of people overdosing on Amerge, the best treatment option is unknown. Some treatments for a recent overdose can include pumping the stomach or administering fluids through an intravenous line. If you believe you have overdosed on Amerge, seek immediate medical attention.
Amerge Overdose: An OverviewAmerge® (naratriptan hydrochloride) is a prescription medication that has been licensed to treat migraine headaches. As with all medicines, it is possible to take too much Amerge. The effects of an Amerge overdose will vary depending on a number of factors, including how much Amerge was taken and whether it was taken with any other medicines, alcohol, street drugs, or a combination of these.
If you happen to overdose on Amerge, seek medical attention immediately.
Symptoms of an Amerge OverdosePeople who take too much Amerge may have overdose symptoms that could include:
- High blood pressure (hypertension)
- Neck tension
- Loss of coordination
- Heart problems, including spasms of the heart vessels.
Treatment for an Amerge OverdoseGiven that there have been so few cases of people taking too much Amerge, it is not known what the best treatment is for an Amerge overdose. If an Amerge overdose was recent, the healthcare provider may use certain medicines or place a tube into the stomach to "pump the stomach."
Treatment may also involve supportive care. This type of care consists of treating the symptoms that occur as a result of the overdose. For example, supportive treatment options for an Amerge overdose may include:
- Fluids through an intravenous line (IV)
- Careful monitoring of the heart and lungs
- Other treatments for the complications that occur.
It is important that you seek medical attention immediately if you believe that you may have overdosed on Amerge.