Some alternatives to Axert for the treatment of migraines include making lifestyle changes (such as getting regular exercise), receiving biofeedback for migraines, and preventing migraine triggers (including certain foods or stressful situations). There are also other medications that can serve as Axert alternatives. Some of these other medicines are used to treat migraine headaches that have already started, while others are used to prevent migraines from starting in the first place.
Alternatives to Axert: An OverviewThere are several alternatives to Axert® (almotriptan maleate) for the treatment of migraine headaches. These alternatives can include lifestyle changes and other migraine medications.
Many people benefit from lifestyle changes to improve their migraine headaches. Preventing migraine triggers, such as certain foods or stressful situations, can help improve migraines (see Migraine Diet for more information). Biofeedback for migraines can also be helpful. Regular exercise may also help improve migraine symptoms.
There are basically two types of migraine medications: those used to treat migraine headaches that have already started and those used to prevent them from starting in the first place. Some medications for treating migraines that have already started include:
- Triptans (other migraine medications very similar to Axert), such as:
- Ergot medications, such as:
- Dihydroergotamine (Migranal®)
- Ergotamine (Bellamine S®, Cafergot®, Ergomar®)
- Other pain medications, including narcotics or over-the-counter medications for pain.
If migraines occur frequently or are extremely severe, medication for migraine prevention is an option. Some of the medications used to prevent migraines include:
- Propranolol (Inderal®) and other beta blockers
- Divalproex (Depakote®), topiramate (Topamax®), and other seizure medications
- Verapamil (Calan®, Verelan®) and other calcium channel blockers.