For the treatment of migraine headaches, the usual Axert dosage is 6.25 mg or 12.5 mg. While the higher dose is generally more effective, it may have more side effects. You should not take more than two Axert doses during a 24-hour period. Take Axert only when you have a migraine -- not on a daily basis. A few of the factors that can affect Axert dosing are your response to Axert, other medical conditions you may have, and other drugs you may be taking.
An Overview of Axert DosageThe dose of Axert® (almotriptan maleate) your healthcare provider prescribes will vary depending on a number of factors, including:
- Your response to Axert
- Other medical conditions you may have
- Other medications you may be currently taking.
As always, do not adjust your dose unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
Axert Dosing for Migraine HeadachesAxert is meant to be taken only during a migraine. The usual Axert dosage for migraine headaches is Axert 6.25 mg or 12.5 mg. The higher dose is usually more effective, but may have more side effects.
- Axert is not meant to be taken on a daily basis. Take Axert only when you have a migraine.
- Axert should be taken as soon as possible once a migraine starts.
- Swallow Axert tablets whole with a drink of water or other fluids.
- If your healthcare provider instructs you to do so, you may take a second dose of Axert if your migraine does not go away after the first dose. However, you must wait at least two hours after the first dose before taking a second dose of Axert.
- Do not take more than two doses of Axert in a 24-hour period.
- Your Axert dose can be taken with or without food.
- For Axert to work properly, you have to take it as prescribed. Axert will not work if you take it in a way other than how your healthcare provider prescribed it.
- If you are unsure about anything related to Axert or your Axert dosing, please talk with your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist.