What Is Cambia?
Cambia™ (diclofenac potassium
) is a prescription medication approved for the treatment of migraine headaches
. It comes in the form of a powder that is mixed with water before each dose.
(Click Cambia Uses for more information on what the medication is used for, including possible off-label uses.)
Who Makes Cambia?
Cambia is made by Kowa Pharmaceuticals America, Inc.
How Does Cambia Work?
Cambia belongs to a group of medications called nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs
). Like other NSAIDs, it works by blocking a specific enzyme known as cyclooxygenase (COX) and by blocking the production of various inflammatory substances in the body.
Clinical Effects of Cambia
This medication has been thoroughly evaluated in clinical studies. These studies compared Cambia to a placebo (a similar product that does not contain any active ingredients). Up to 65 percent of people who took Cambia experienced pain relief within two hours (compared with up to 41 percent of people taking the placebo).
When and How to Take Cambia
Some general considerations include the following:
- The medicine is taken to treat a migraine that is already occurring (it is not used to prevent migraines).
- Open the packet, empty the powder into a cup, and add one to two ounces (30 to 60 mL) of water. Mix and drink immediately.
- Do not mix the powder with any liquid other than water.
- This medication works best when taken on an empty stomach.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed.