The frovatriptan dosing guidelines your healthcare provider will follow for treating migraines are the same for everyone, regardless of age or weight. There is only one frovatriptan dose (a 2.5 mg tablet), which can be taken by mouth as soon as possible after a migraine starts. Your healthcare provider may suggest taking a second dose of frovatriptan if the first dose has not worked after at least two hours. You should not take more than three doses of frovatriptan in a 24-hour period.
An Overview of Frovatriptan Dosing InformationThere is only one dose of frovatriptan succinate (Frova®) for adults with migraine headaches, regardless of age or weight -- frovatriptan 2.5 mg, which is taken once a migraine starts.
General Frovatriptan Dosing InformationPatients taking this drug should keep the following dosing information in mind:
- Frovatriptan is not meant to be taken on a daily basis. Take frovatriptan only when you have a migraine.
- Frovatriptan should be taken as soon as possible once a migraine starts.
- Swallow frovatriptan tablets whole with a drink of water or other fluids.
- If your healthcare provider instructs you to do so, you may take a second dose of frovatriptan if your migraine does not go away after the first dose. However, you must wait at least two hours after the first dose before taking a second dose of frovatriptan.
- Do not take more than three doses of frovatriptan in a 24-hour period.
- Your frovatriptan dosage can be taken with or without food.
- For frovatriptan to work properly, you have to take it as prescribed. Frovatriptan will not work if you take it differently than how your healthcare provider prescribed it.
- If you are unsure about anything related to frovatriptan or your frovatriptan dosing, please talk to your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist.