Frovatriptan Side Effects
As with any medication, there are potential side effects of frovatriptan, including fatigue, dizziness, and abnormal sensations (such as tingling or burning). Most people, however, tolerate the medication well and, in many cases, the side effects are minor and easy to treat. If you experience more serious frovatriptan side effects, such as difficulty walking, confusion, or hallucinations, be sure to report them immediately to your healthcare provider, as these symptoms may be a sign of a dangerous condition called serotonin syndrome.
Frovatriptan Side Effects: An IntroductionAs with any medicine, there are possible side effects with frovatriptan succinate (Frova®). However, not everyone who takes frovatriptan will experience side effects. In fact, most people tolerate the medication well. When people do develop frovatriptan side effects, in most cases they are minor, meaning they require no treatment or are easily treated by you or your healthcare provider.
(This article covers many, but not all, of the possible side effects with frovatriptan. Your healthcare provider can discuss a more complete list of frovatriptan side effects with you.)
Common Frovatriptan Side EffectsFrovatriptan has been studied thoroughly in clinical trials in which the side effects of a group of people taking the drug are documented and compared to another group not taking the medicine. Based on these studies, the most common frovatriptan side effects include:
- Dizziness -- occurring in up to 8 percent of people
- Fatigue -- in up to 5 percent
- Headaches -- in up to 4 percent
- Abnormal sensations, such as tingling, burning, or pricking (paresthesia) -- in up to 4 percent
- Flushing (redness of the skin, especially the face) -- in up to 4 percent
- Dry mouth -- in up to 3 percent
- Hot or cold sensations -- in up to 3 percent
- Bone pain -- in up to 3 percent
- Upset stomach or heartburn -- in up to 2 percent
- Chest pain -- in up to 2 percent.
Although the exact percentages were not reported in some of the studies, the following were also reported as common side effects of frovatriptan (occurring in more than 1 percent of people taking the medication):
- Unpleasant sensations
- Dulled senses
- Abdominal pain (or stomach pain)
- A sinus infection or runny or irritated nose
- Vision changes
- Increased sweating
- Ringing of the ears
- Feelings of a rapidly or forcefully beating heart (palpitations).