Natural Headache ReliefAlthough several effective headache medications are available, people may often look for alternative or complementary treatment options for relieving a headache. Alternative treatments are approaches that may be used instead of traditional medical treatments. Complementary treatments, on the other hand, may be used in conjunction with traditional medical treatments.
(Click Natural Headache Relief to learn more about these non-drug options for treating headaches.)
More Frequent or Severe HeadachesNot all headaches require medical attention. Some result from missed meals or occasional muscle tension and are easily remedied. When headaches occur three or more times a month, preventive headache treatment may be needed. Other types of headaches can be signals of more serious disorders and also require a trip to your healthcare provider. These types of headaches can include:
- A sudden, severe headache
- A sudden headache associated with a stiff neck
- Headaches associated with a fever or convulsions, or accompanied by confusion or loss of consciousness
- Headaches following a blow to the head, or associated with pain in the eye or ear
- Persistent headaches in a person who was previously headache-free
- Recurring headaches in children.