As with any medication, it is possible to overdose on Imitrex. Symptoms of an Imitrex overdose may include seizures, paralysis, or shakiness. Treating an Imitrex overdose could involve pumping the stomach or administering fluids through an intravenous line (IV). If you began treatment with Imitrex and overdosed, and/or believe you may have overdosed, seek medical attention immediately.
Imitrex Overdose: An OverviewImitrex® (sumatriptan succinate) is a prescription medication that has been licensed to treat migraine headaches. As with all medicines, it is possible to take too much Imitrex. Effects of an Imitrex overdose will vary depending on a number of factors, including how much Imitrex was taken and whether it was taken with any other medicines, alcohol, and/or drugs.
If you happen to overdose on Imitrex, seek medical attention immediately.
Symptoms of an Imitrex OverdoseIn clinical studies conducted before Imitrex was approved, higher-than-usual doses of Imitrex did not result in any adverse reactions. However, there have been so few reported cases of an Imitrex overdose that the full effects are not known. Based on studies in animals, symptoms of an Imitrex overdose might include:
- Not being able to move or feel (paralysis)
- Swelling in the arms or legs
- Wide or dilated pupils
- Increased saliva and watery eyes.
Treatment for an Imitrex OverdoseGiven that there have been so few cases of people taking too much Imitrex, it is also not known what the best treatment is for an overdose on Imitrex. If an Imitrex overdose with tablets was recent, the healthcare provider may use certain medicines or place a tube into the stomach to "pump the stomach." Treatment may also involve supportive care. This type of care consists of treating the symptoms that occur as a result of the overdose. For example, supportive treatment options for an Imitrex overdose may include:
- Fluids through an intravenous line (IV)
- Other treatments based on the complications that occur.
If you began treatment with Imitrex and overdosed, and/or believe you may have overdosed, it is important that you seek medical attention immediately.