Inderal LA Uses
Migraine headaches usually begin between the ages of 5 and 35, and are characterized by severe pain felt on one or both sides of the head. The pain is often described as an intense pulsing or throbbing in one area of the head.
Inderal LA is often used to prevent migraines. In clinical studies, the medication has been shown to decrease the occurrence and severity of migraines.
Hypertrophic Subaortic Stenosis
Hypertrophic subaortic stenosis is a condition in which the middle part of the heart that separates the right and left ventricles becomes thickened. This causes less blood to be pumped out when the heart beats. Common symptoms include:
- Angina (chest pain)
- Shortness of breath with exercise
- Heart palpitations
- Difficulty breathing while lying down.
Inderal LA has been shown to improve symptoms associated with hypertrophic subaortic stenosis -- including angina, palpitations, and fainting. It has also been shown to improve exercise tolerance. The medication does not, however, cure hypertrophic subaortic stenosis.
Off-Label Inderal LA UsesOn occasion, your healthcare provider may recommend Inderal LA for treating something other than the conditions discussed in this article. This is called an "off-label" use. Some off-label uses for Inderal LA include:
- Hyperthyroidism treatment
- Relief of alcohol withdrawal symptoms
- Prevention of bleeding in the esophagus or stomach in people with cirrhosis of the liver
- Heart failure treatment
- Treatment following a heart attack to improve survival
- Decreasing the severity of tremors in people with familial or essential tremor
- Treatment of irregular heart rhythms (arrhythmias)
- Anxiety treatment, including social phobia and performance anxiety.