Headache Home > Imitrex Alternatives
For the treatment of migraine headaches, there are a number of alternatives to Imitrex. Lifestyle changes and medications can be among these Imitrex alternatives. Some examples of lifestyle changes that may improve migraines include getting regular exercise, receiving biofeedback for migraines, and preventing migraine triggers (which include certain foods or stressful situations). Triptans and ergot medications are among the alternative drugs sometimes used to treat migraines.
Alternatives to Imitrex: An OverviewThere are several alternatives to Imitrex® (sumatriptan succinate) for the treatment of migraine headaches. These Imitrex alternatives include lifestyle changes and other migraine medications.
- Triptans (other migraine medications very similar to Imitrex), such as:
- Ergot medications, such as:
- Dihydroergotamine (Migranal®)
- Ergotamine (Bellamine-S®, Cafergot®, Ergomar®)
- Other pain medications, including narcotics or over-the-counter medications for pain.