Headache Home > Imitrex Dosage
For migraine headaches, the usual dose of Imitrex tablets is 25 mg, 50 mg, or 100 mg. If you are using the nasal spray, the Imitrex dose is 5 mg, 10 mg, or 20 mg sprayed into one nostril. The usual Imitrex dosage for those receiving the drug through an injection is 4 mg or 6 mg injected subcutaneously (just below the skin). Talk with your healthcare provider, nurse, or pharmacist if you are unsure about anything related to your dosage or Imitrex dosing in general.
An Overview of Imitrex DosingThe dose of Imitrex® (sumatriptan succinate) your healthcare provider prescribes will vary depending on a number of factors, including:
- Your response to Imitrex
- Other medical conditions you may have
- Other medications you may be currently taking.
Imitrex Dosage for Migraine HeadachesImitrex is meant to be taken only during a migraine. The usual dosages of Imitrex for migraine headaches are:
- Imitrex tablets -- 25 mg, 50 mg, or 100 mg by mouth.
- Imitrex Nasal Spray -- 5 mg, 10 mg, or 20 mg sprayed into one nostril. Since Imitrex Nasal Spray does not come in a 10 mg strength, use two of the 5 mg sprays (one in each nostril) to get a 10 mg dose.
- Imitrex Injection -- 4 mg or 6 mg injected subcutaneously (just below the skin).
- Imitrex is not meant to be taken on a daily basis. Take Imitrex only when you have a migraine.
- If your healthcare provider instructs you to do so, you may take a second dose of Imitrex if your migraine does not go away after the first dose. You must wait at least two hours after the first dose before taking a second dose of Imitrex tablets or Imitrex Nasal Spray. For Imitrex Injection, a second dose can be given as soon as one hour after the first dose.
- Do not take more than 200 mg of Imitrex tablets, 40 mg of Imitrex Nasal Spray, or 12 mg of Imitrex Injection in one day.
- Your Imitrex dosage can be taken with or without food.
- Imitrex Nasal Spray and Imitrex Injection both come with pamphlets containing detailed instructions for use. Make sure your healthcare provider demonstrates exactly how to use both of these forms of the medicine.
- For Imitrex to work properly, you have to take it as prescribed. Imitrex will not work if you take it in a way other than how your healthcare provider prescribed it.
- If you are unsure about anything related to Imitrex or your Imitrex dosage, please talk with your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist.