Headache Home > Imitrex Side Effects
A few common side effects of Imitrex include chest tightness or pressure; dizziness; and abnormal sensations, such as tingles, warmth, or numbness. Side effects that you should report to your healthcare provider include shortness of breath; bloody diarrhea; or sudden, severe stomach pain. Decreased or increased blood pressure, breast tenderness, and asthma are rare, but can occur.
Imitrex Side Effects: An IntroductionAs with any medicine, side effects are possible with Imitrex® (sumatriptan succinate). However, not everyone who takes the drug will have problems. In fact, most people tolerate it well. If people do develop side effects, in most cases, they are minor, meaning they require no treatment or are easily treated by you or your healthcare provider.
Common Side Effects of Imitrex
Injection site reactions (including redness, pain, or swelling) -- occurring in up to 59 percent of people who took the injected form
Abnormal sensations, including tingles, warmth or burning, pressure, tightness, or numbness -- up to 42 percent
- Bad or unusual taste in the mouth -- up to 25 percent of people who took Imitrex Nasal Spray
- Dizziness or a spinning sensation (vertigo) -- up to 12 percent
- Flushing (redness of the skin, especially the face) -- up to 7 percent
- Chest tightness or pressure -- up to 5 percent
- Weakness -- up to 5 percent
- Neck pain -- up to 5 percent.
- Ear, nose, or throat discomfort
- Muscle pain or cramps
- Abdominal pain (stomach pain)
- Difficulty swallowing
- Jaw pain
- Decreased salivation