When and How to Take ItSome general considerations for when and how to take Maxalt include the following:
- The medication comes in regular tablets and as orally disintegrating tablets that dissolve in the mouth quickly.
- Maxalt should be taken as soon as possible once a migraine starts.
- Swallow the tablets whole with a drink of water or other fluids. Maxalt MLT tablets should be placed on the tongue, where they can dissolve quickly. They do not need to be taken with water.
- If your headache comes back or does not go away, a second dose can be taken after waiting at least two hours from the time you took the first dose. Let your healthcare provider know if Maxalt does not work completely after one dose.
- For the medication to work properly, you have to take it as prescribed. Maxalt will not work if you stop taking it.
Dosing InformationThe dose of Maxalt your healthcare provider recommends will vary, depending on a number of factors, including:
- Your weight (for children)
- How you respond to the drug
- Other medical conditions you may have
- Other medications you may be taking.
As always, do not adjust your dose unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
(Click Maxalt Dosage for more information.)
Side Effects of MaxaltAs with any medicine, side effects are possible with Maxalt. However, not everyone who takes the drug will experience side effects. In fact, most people tolerate it well. If side effects do occur, in most cases, they are minor and either require no treatment or can easily be treated by you or your healthcare provider.
Some of the most common side effects include:
- Fatigue or weakness
- Abnormal sensations such as tingling, burning, or pricking (paresthesia)
- Chest pain, including chest tightness, chest pressure, or chest heaviness
- Dry mouth
- Neck pain, jaw pain, or throat pain.
(Click Maxalt Side Effects to learn more, including potentially serious side effects you should report to your healthcare provider. You can also read about other possible side effects by clicking Maxalt and Heart Problems.)