The standard recommended dosage of Sumavel for treating migraines or cluster headaches is one injection, which is the same for everyone. The drug is injected using pressure, not a needle, just below the skin of the abdomen or thighs. If a second dose is needed, wait at least one hour after the first dose.
An Introduction to Dosing With SumavelThere is only one recommended dose for Sumavel™ DosePro™ (sumatriptan injection), regardless of your weight or the severity of your headaches. As is always the case, do not adjust this amount unless your healthcare provider specifically tells you to do so.
Recommended Sumavel DosageThe standard amount of Sumavel for treating migraines or cluster headaches is one injection (6 mg). If a second injection is needed, you must wait at least one hour after the first. Keep in mind that studies have not shown that taking a second dose provides additional benefit. Do not take more than two doses in 24 hours.
General Information on Your Sumavel DoseSome considerations to keep in mind during treatment with Sumavel include the following:
- Sumavel comes in injectable form. It is injected using pressure, not a needle, just below the skin (subcutaneously). Most people inject this medication themselves.
- The skin of the abdomen (stomach area, at least two inches away from the navel) or thighs may be used. Other areas, including the arms should not be used.
- Use a different area of skin each time, and do not inject a Sumavel dosage into a mole or scar.
- Your healthcare provider should take the time to teach you exactly how to use the Sumavel DosePro needle-free injection system. If you have questions, ask your healthcare provider or pharmacist before using this medication.
- For this drug to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed.
- If you are unsure about anything related to your dosage or Sumavel dosing in general, please talk with your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist.