When large doses of Sumavel (sumatriptan injection) were administered in clinical studies, no serious problems were seen. Thus, it is not known what exactly to expect from an overdose, other than the usual side effects of the medication. If an overdose of Sumavel did occur, treatment would likely focus on treating any resulting symptoms.
Can You Use Too Much Sumavel?Sumavel™ DosePro™ (sumatriptan injection) is a prescription medication that belongs to a class of drugs known as triptans. As with most medications, it is probably possible to take too much Sumavel. The specific effects of an overdose are largely unknown, but will likely vary, depending on a number of factors, including the Sumavel dosage, how it was taken, and whether it was taken with any other medications or substances.
Effects of an Overdose of SumavelThe normal dosage of Sumavel is 6 mg. In studies, administering up to 16 mg did not cause serious problems. No large overdoses have been reported in real-life use of this medication either. It is unclear what exactly to expect from a Sumavel overdose, other than the typical side effects.
Treatment for a Sumavel OverdoseBecause so little is known about the effects of a Sumavel overdose, it is also not clear how best to treat it. Therefore, treatment will likely involve simply treating any complications that occur as a result of the overdose. Specifically, the person should be monitored for at least 10 hours after the overdose (or longer, if problems persist).
It is important that you seek medical attention immediately if you believe that you or someone else may have taken too much Sumavel.