Sumavel Side Effects
Although most people have no problems with Sumavel, adverse reactions are possible. In clinical trials, the most common problems included reactions at the injection site, abnormal sensations (such as tingling and numbness), and dizziness. Notify your healthcare provider right away if you experience serious side effects of Sumavel, such as seizures, severe chest pain, or bloody diarrhea.
An Introduction to Sumavel Side EffectsJust like any medicine, Sumavel™ DosePro™ (sumatriptan injection) can cause side effects. However, not everyone who takes the medication will have problems. In fact, most people tolerate it quite well. If side effects do occur, in most cases, they are minor and either require no treatment or are treated easily by you or your healthcare provider.
(This article covers many, but not all, of the possible side effects with Sumavel. Your healthcare provider can discuss a more complete list with you.)
Common Side Effects of SumavelSumavel and other forms of injectable sumatriptan have been studied thoroughly in clinical trials. In these studies, the side effects that occurred in a group of people given the drug were documented and compared to those that occurred in a similar group of people given a placebo (in this case, an injection with no active ingredient). As a result, it was possible to see what side effects occurred, how often they appeared, and how they compared to the group given the placebo.
In these studies, some of the most common side effects seen with Sumavel (or other forms of injectable sumatriptan) included:
- Injection site reactions, such as:
- Swelling -- in up to 86 percent of people
- Redness -- up to 53 percent
- Bleeding -- up to 42 percent
- Bruising -- up to 11 percent
- Abnormal sensations, such as tingling, warmth or burning, pressure, tightness, or numbness -- up to 42 percent
- Dizziness or a spinning sensation (vertigo) -- up to 12 percent
- Flushing (redness of the skin, especially the face) -- up to 7 percent
- Chest discomfort -- up to 5 percent
- Weakness -- up to 5 percent
- Neck pain -- up to 5 percent.
Other common reactions, occurring in up to 2 to 3 percent of people, included:
- Nasal or sinus discomfort
- Jaw discomfort
- Muscle pain