Sumavel Warnings and Precautions
If you have heart problems, you may not be able to take Sumavel, as this medication can cause heart attacks or life-threatening changes in heart rhythm. Other warnings and precautions for Sumavel apply to people with high blood pressure, epilepsy, and diabetes. Before starting treatment, make sure your healthcare provider is aware of any other medications you are taking and whether you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
What Should I Tell My Healthcare Provider Before Beginning Treatment?Prior to taking Sumavel™ DosePro™ (sumatriptan injection), talk to your healthcare provider if you have:
- Heart problems of any kind, especially a history of heart disease, angina, an irregular heart rhythm, or a heart attack
- A history of a stroke, transient ischemic attack (TIA, or "mini-stroke"), or other bleeding in the brain (such as a subarachnoid hemorrhage)
- High blood pressure (hypertension)
- High cholesterol
- Certain blood vessel conditions, such as peripheral vascular disease, including ischemic bowel disease, or Raynaud's phenomenon
- Seizures or epilepsy
- Gone through menopause
- Any allergies, including to foods, dyes, or preservatives.
Also, let your healthcare provider know if you are:
- Pregnant or thinking of becoming pregnant
Make sure to tell your healthcare provider about any other medicines you are taking, including prescription and nonprescription medications, vitamins, and herbal supplements.