Treatment for Tension Headaches
Medication and counseling are some of the treatment options for tension headaches. In general, treatment for tension headaches starts with treating any specific condition that may be causing the headaches. Physical therapy, massage, acupuncture, and gentle exercise of the neck may be helpful for people with chronic tension headaches.
Treatment Options for Tension Headache ReliefBefore recommending treatment for tension-type headaches (also known as tension headaches), the healthcare provider will consider a number of factors. This includes:
- The frequency and severity of tension headaches (whether they are episodic or chronic tension headaches)
- Other treatments that have been tried in the past for relief
- Your individual needs.
Some common methods of tension headache treatment that may be recommended include:
- Treating the specific causes
- Other therapies, such as biofeedback or counseling.
Treating the Specific CauseThe first consideration when treating tension headaches is to treat any specific condition that may be causing the tension headache. This includes treatment for:
- Arthritis of the neck
- Temporomandibular joint dysfunction, or TMD
- Overactive thyroid (hyperthyroidism)
- Dental disease
- Sinus infectinon (sinusitis) or ear infection.
For example, arthritis of the neck or TMD may be helped by corrective devices for the mouth and jaw. Treating these conditions can successfully treat the tension headaches.