Topiramate can potentially interact with several other medicines.
(Click Drug Interactions With Topiramate for more information.)
You should talk with your healthcare provider prior to taking this medication if you have:
- Kidney disease, such as kidney failure (renal failure)
- Liver disease, such as liver failure or cirrhosis
- Kidney stones
- Severe respiratory conditions
- Severe diarrhea
- Any allergies, including allergies to food, dyes, or preservatives.
Also, let your healthcare provider know if you are:
- Pregnant or thinking of becoming pregnant (see Topamax and Pregnancy)
- Breastfeeding (see Topamax and Breastfeeding)
- Following a ketogenic diet.
Make sure to tell your healthcare provider about all other medicines you may be taking, including prescription and non-prescription medicines, vitamins, and herbal supplements.
(Click Precautions and Warnings With Topiramate for more information on this topic, including information on who should not take this drug.)
- Speech problems
- Blurred vision
- Thinking problems
- Poor coordination
- Low blood pressure (hypotension)
- Abdominal pain (or stomach pain)
If you happen to overdose, seek medical attention immediately.
(Click Topamax Overdose for more information.)