It is important to seek medical attention immediately if you or someone else overdoses on Treximet (sumatriptan/naproxen sodium). Overdose symptoms may include lethargy or drowsiness, breathing problems, dizziness, and paralysis. Treatment for a Treximet overdose may involve taking certain medicines, getting your "stomach pumped," or supportive care.
Treximet™ (sumatriptan/naproxen sodium) is a prescription migraine medication. It contains naproxen (an "NSAID" medication) and sumatriptan (a triptan medication). The effects of a Treximet overdose may vary depending on a number of factors, such as the Treximet dosage and whether it was taken with any other drugs or substances.
If you happen to overdose on Treximet, seek immediate medical attention.
Possible symptoms of a Treximet overdose may include:
- Seizures or shakiness
- Not being able to move or feel (paralysis)
- Swelling in the arms or legs
- Wide or dilated pupils
- Increased saliva and watery eyes
- Lethargy or drowsiness
- Chest, throat, or stomach pain
- Nausea and vomiting
- Kidney problems, including kidney failure
- Breathing problems.
If a Treximet overdose was recent, the healthcare provider may give certain medicines to induce vomiting or absorb the medication, or place a tube into the stomach to "pump the stomach." Treatment will also involve supportive care, which consists of treating the symptoms that occur as a result of the overdose. For example, supportive treatment options for a Treximet overdose may include:
- Fluids through an intravenous line (IV)
- Close monitoring of the heart and lungs
- Other treatments based on complications that occur.
Even though a Treximet overdose is unlikely to cause serious problems, it is important that you seek medical attention immediately if you believe that you or someone else may have overdosed on Treximet.