If your healthcare provider recommends treating migraine headaches with Zecuity, the dosing guidelines are the same for everyone. Apply one patch on the upper arm or thigh as soon as you experience migraine symptoms. The patch delivers 6.5 mg of the medicine over four hours using a mild electrical current. Do not use more than two patches in a 24-hour period.
There is only one standard recommended dose of Zecuity™ (sumatriptan transdermal). As is always the case, do not adjust your dosage unless your healthcare provider specifically tells you to do so.
The usual recommended dose of Zecuity for treating migraine headaches is one patch, applied to the upper arm or thigh, as soon as a migraine begins. The patch delivers 6.5 mg of the active ingredient (sumatriptan) over four hours.
The Zecuity patch uses a mild electrical current to deliver medicine through your skin. Once you apply the patch, you will need to push the red activation button to activate it. After the button is pushed, the red light-emitting diode (LED) will turn on, indicating the patch is delivering the medicine. The LED light will go off when dosing is complete, which may take up to four hours.
You may remove the patch after four hours, or as soon as the light turns off. After removing the patch, fold it so the sticky side sticks to itself and dispose of it away from children and pets.
If you do not get complete relief from Zecuity, or if your headache returns, you may use another patch. Just make sure it has been at least two hours since you activated the first patch. Also, do not use more than two patches in a 24-hour period.
Some considerations to keep in mind during treatment with Zecuity include the following:
- This medication comes in the form of a skin patch. The patch is applied directly to the skin as needed when a migraine occurs.
- Zecuity should be applied to the upper arm or thigh only on a dry, intact, hairless area of skin that is free from scars, tattoos, cuts, or irritation. Only use one patch at a time.
- Do not cut Zecuity patches; they must be used whole.
- Do not apply a new patch to a previously used area of your skin, unless that area has been free from redness for at least three days.
- Once applied, you will need to activate the patch by pressing the activation button. Zecuity must be applied and activated within 15 minutes of assembly.
- Remove the patch four hours after you put it on, or when the red activation light turns off. The light will turn off when the complete dose has been delivered.
- Do not swim, bathe, or shower while wearing Zecuity.
- It is unknown if using more than four patches in one month is safe.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be used as prescribed. Zecuity comes with instructions that explain exactly how to use it. Make sure to read and follow these instructions closely.
- If you are unsure about anything related to your dosage of Zecuity, please talk with your healthcare provider, nurse, or pharmacist.