In clinical studies, Zecuity has been shown to help relieve migraine-related pain and other symptoms, such as nausea and sensitivity to sound and light. In one study, 18 percent of people who used Zecuity to treat a migraine headache with moderate-to-severe pain were pain-free after two hours, while 53 percent reported their pain was less severe. In comparison, 9 percent of those who used a placebo (a patch with no active ingredient) were without pain after two hours, and 29 percent experienced a reduction in their pain.
In addition, more people who used Zecuity reported relief of nausea and light and sound sensitivity after two hours.
Some general considerations to keep in mind when using this patch include the following:
- This medication comes in the form of a skin patch. The patch is applied directly on the skin as needed when a migraine occurs.
- Zecuity should be applied to the upper arm or thigh only, on a dry, hairless area of skin that is free from scars, tattoos, cuts, or irritation. You should only use one patch at a time.
- The patches cannot be cut. They must be used whole.
- Do not apply Zecuity to a previously used area of your skin, unless that area has been free from redness for at least three days.
- Once applied, you will need to activate the patch by pressing the activation button. Zecuity must be applied and activated within 15 minutes of assembly.
- Remove the patch four hours after you put it on, or when the red activation light turns off. The light will turn off when the complete dose has been delivered.
- If your headache does not completely go away, or if it goes away but comes back, you may use another patch, as long as it been at least two hours since you activated the first one. Do not use more than two patches in a 24-hour period.
- Do not swim, bathe, or shower while wearing Zecuity because the patch contains batteries.
- It is unknown if using more than four patches in one month is safe.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be used as prescribed. Zecuity comes with instructions explaining exactly how to use it. Make sure to read and follow these instructions carefully.