Zomig and Heart Problems
Recommendations for Zomig and Heart ProblemsPeople with certain heart problems should not take Zomig. This includes people with:
- Coronary heart disease (more commonly referred to as just heart disease)
- Stable angina
- Unstable angina
- Variant angina (also known as Prinzmetal's angina).
In addition, people with a history of a heart attack, stroke, or transient ischemic attack (TIA or "mini-stroke") should not take Zomig.
Zomig should be used with caution in people with possible risk factors for heart disease. In fact, you should be evaluated for heart disease before taking Zomig if you have risk factors for heart disease, such as:
- High blood pressure (hypertension)
- High cholesterol
- A family history of heart disease
- Being a man over the age of 40
- Being a postmenopausal woman.
If you have any of the above risk factors for heart disease, it is also strongly recommended that you take your first dose of Zomig in your healthcare provider's office (so that he or she can monitor your heart).
Finally, anyone taking Zomig should call his or her healthcare provider or 911 right away if any possible symptoms of a heart attack (such as chest pain, chest tightness, or shortness of breath) occur.