When and How to Take ZomigSome general considerations for when and how to take the medication include:
- Zomig comes in regular tablets and as orally disintegrating tablets (ZMTs) that dissolve in the mouth quickly. It also comes in a nasal spray.
- It should be taken as soon as possible once a migraine starts.
- Swallow Zomig tablets whole with a drink of water or other fluids. Zomig ZMT tablets should be placed on the tongue, where they will be quickly dissolved. Zomig ZMT tablets do not need to be taken with water.
- Each Zomig Nasal Spray device contains only one dose of the medication. Spray the dose into one nostril while pressing on the other side of your nose, tilting your head back slightly and breathing in gently through your nose. After the spray, keep your head back and breathe gently through your mouth for about five seconds.
- If your headache comes back or does not go away, your healthcare provider may recommend taking a second dose of the medication after waiting at least two hours from the time you took the first dose. Let your healthcare provider know if it does not work completely after one dose.
- For the medicine to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. It will not work if you stop taking it.
DosingThe dosage your healthcare provider recommends will vary depending on a number of factors, including:
- How you respond to Zomig
- Other medical conditions you may have
- Other medications you may be currently taking.
As is the case with any medication, do not adjust your dose unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
(Click Zomig Dosage for more information.)