Zomig Side Effects
Even though most people tolerate Zomig well, there are some potential side effects of the medication, such as dizziness, drowsiness, and nausea. In many cases, these problems are mild and easily treated. However, there are some more serious side effects of Zomig that you should report to your healthcare provider, including severe chest pain, shortness of breath, or signs of an allergic reaction.
Zomig Side Effects: An IntroductionAs with any medicine, side effects are possible with Zomig® (zolmitriptan). However, not everyone who takes the drug will experience problems. In fact, most people tolerate it well. If Zomig side effects do occur, in most cases, they are minor, meaning they require no treatment or are treated easily by you or your healthcare provider.
(This article covers many, but not all, of the possible side effects with Zomig. Your healthcare provider can discuss a more complete list with you.)
Common Side Effects of ZomigZomig has been studied thoroughly in clinical trials. In these studies, the side effects that occur in a group of people taking the drug are documented and compared to those that occur in another group of people not taking the medicine. As a result, it is possible to see what side effects occur, how often they appear, and how they compare to the group not taking the medicine.
Based on these studies, some of the most common Zomig side effects include:
- Unusual taste (for Zomig® Nasal Spray) -- up to 21 percent of people
- Dizziness -- up to 10 percent
- Abnormal sensations such as tingling, burning, or pricking (paresthesia) -- up to 10 percent
- Neck pain, jaw pain, or throat pain (or tightness or pressure) -- up to 10 percent
- Weakness -- up to 9 percent
- Nausea -- up to 9 percent
- Drowsiness -- up to 8 percent
- Warm or cold sensations -- up to 6 percent.
Some other common reactions (occurring in 1 to 5 percent of people) include:
- Increased sensitivity of the senses, such as increased sensitivity to touch or sound
- Dry mouth
- Chest pain, chest tightness, chest pressure, or heaviness
- Upset stomach or heartburn
- Increased sweating
- Nasal pain or problems (for Zomig Nasal Spray)
- Difficulty swallowing
- A spinning sensation (vertigo)
- Muscle pain
- Feelings of a rapidly or forcefully beating heart (heart palpitations)
- Abdominal pain (stomach pain)